Homemade RollsDifficulty: Medium
- Initial five ingredients in large bowl:
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. sugar
1 t. salt
2 pkg. yeast
2 c. flour
- Additional ingredients added later (see Directions):
3 c. flour
- Combine the initial five ingredients (shortening, sugar, salt, yeast, flour) in large bowl and cut with pastry cutter.
- Beat 2 eggs in a 2 c. measuring cup.
- Fill cup to 2 cup mark with hot water. Pour over dry mixture.
- Slowly add 3 c. flour.
- Cover. Let rise 20 minutes in a warm oven.
- Pour onto a floured surface.
- Knead. Flatten with hands into a large pizza shape. Cut with a pizza cutter into 16 slices.
- Roll up from wide end to a point. Place in greased pans leaving space for rolls to double in size.
- Can shape like a crescent or lay on the side where swirl shows.
- Cover. Let rise in warm oven at least 20 min. Remove from oven.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Bake 20-30 min. depending on how dark you prefer rolls.